After a storm there must be a calm
And in the calm you sound your alarm
-”The Israelites,” Desmond Decker and the Aces
You may have wondered what on earth happened to Chef and Steward over the past month or so or maybe you haven’t even noticed that we took a bit of a long break since our last post, either way, we are back! Let us hasten to add that we used the quote above poetically. We are not announcing a past tragedy. In fact, we have been missing in action because we had lots of amazingly wonderful things going on offline and sometimes, it is great to just live in the moment and be totally present in it.
Since we both believe it is never too late for a good wish, we wish you the best for 2013. Even though the year is underway and you may be caught up with the demands of daily life, try not to lose sight of the big hopes and dreams you have to accomplish and we hope that yours will be made into reality!
Here are a few of the amazing things that have happened to Chef and Steward since we last posted:
- We’ve been awarded the amazing trophy for The Best Jamaican Blog Overseas in the Jamaican Blog Awards held back home in Jamaica recently. This was quite an unexpected but really exciting achievement and we are humbled that we have earned the respect of our fellow Jamaicans!
- Chef Lij started an amazing job in which he will be opening two outlets (restaurants in hotel/hospitality industry speak) and is now busy with pre-opening hires and suppliers and all the good stuff. It is perhaps the most iconic luxury hotel brand. Can you guess?
- We left Dubai. Yup. We moved. It was rather quiet because we had so much going on at the same time and the time was too short plus we were not leaving the country so we decided not to make a big fuss about it. We are still in the UAE and visit Dubai at least once per month and actually see our friends more often now than when they were closer because they actually come to visit!
- On account of the second and third points, I , the Steward, left my full time job. This gives me the opportunity to concentrate on adapting to all the changes including my new environment as well as my own Food & Lifestyle Photography, Writing & Consultancy business.
- The book that I was commissioned to photograph should be published sometime this year.
- I have been ill so I have been more focused on my health.
- We have a smaller kitchen. If you knew all the kitchen stuff we have combined, you would understand how much of a conundrum this has presented.
- We now live by the sea- perhaps the best distraction God has ever created.
- We entertain every weekend. So much so that we are thinking of taking a break for a couple of weeks just to catch our breath.
- We have a large gas stove. Every genuine food lover understands how mega important this one is. After being stuck with strata-mandated electric stoves in the home for over a decade, we are pretty thrilled. There’s no more need to move pots off burners even after you’ve switched them off. Plus once I get around to it, I can really bake up a storm without waiting for one thing to finish!